Sunday, March 28

Brave Five Minutes Longer

“Today I look at my hero and see my beautiful daughter and couldn’t be more proud of her. Today she is giving her brother her bone marrow to cure his PNH and save his life. Today I will be forever grateful to GOD for blessing us with this incredible human being so that we have the honor to be called her Mom & Dad.”


So I wrote that on March 25th – Day 0. And when I got home and was going to put it in my blog, suddenly it seemed so unworthy of a post. I mean, how do you verbalize the miracle we witnessed? How do you verbalize the overwhelming thanks you are feeling? The relief? The debt of gratitude to everyone and especially to Sydney and to GOD. Today I realized the same way we do everything else in our lives, we do the best that we can with what we are given. Those words were given to me in a moment of time during that day and now I give them to you. I hope you find something to be thankful for today.

I’m sure you are wondering about the whole transplant process. Well after 10 extremely hard days for JT to prepare his body for Sydney’s bone marrow through some pretty intense drugs, the day was long and not quite as difficult for him as it had been. Sydney came to the hospital at 7:30am for her pre-op assessment and prepare for her surgery. There was a lot of sitting around and waiting to meet different doctors, sign consents, and receive instructions. The actual surgery didn’t begin until 10:30am. We had a private room to sit in during our wait with chairs and a TV. Jim, his Mom, and I were with her and JT remained in the Transplant Unit in his room watched by the nurses. Sydney was given general anesthesia and the operation took approximately an hour and a half. Two of the BMT Doctors performed the surgery by inserting large needles in both of her hips, into the bone and extracting approximately 2 liters of marrow out of it. It was then transported upstairs to JT’s room where it was infused in him over a 6 hour period. They didn’t have to “clean” up the blood as I originally told some of you because Sydney and JT share a matching blood type as well. If the blood type did not match, they would have to remove the red blood cells.  One more miracle to add to our list!

After an emotional recovery (anesthesia can do that to you) we wheeled Sydney to JT’s room to rest for awhile and for all of us to be together. The actual infusion was in a drip into his Central Line and is a similar process to a blood transfusion. I thought the marrow would be thick but the nurse told me they add saline and heparin to it to thin it out for the drip.

Jim stayed with JT for the next couple of days and so far JT has shown no signs of rejection or allergic reaction. They began a new chemotherapy called Methotrexate to keep his immune system suppressed for the next two weeks. They anticipate it taking 10 to 14 days for the bone marrow to graft and JT’s body to start making new cells. This is an average, so don’t call me on April 11 – I’ll be in touch.

“Grandma” and I took Sydney home where she slept the rest of Thursday and managed to get up and eat a little supper before sleeping the rest of the night. Friday she rested most of the day on some pretty good pain meds and later had a fun night with a visit from two church friends, Ethan & Jonathan who kept her entertained for a few hours. Saturday she was “sucking it up” once again to fulfill her social calendar obligation and insisted I take her and school friends Katie, Naomi & Eka to East Cobb Park to hang out. It was a beautiful day and I couldn’t resist. The highlight of the afternoon was an encounter from an Atlanta Journal Reporter who snapped shots of the girls and they are hoping to be in next Sunday’s Leisure Edition for an article on Spring! We ended the day with a donor celebration dinner treated by Grandma. Today I am at the hospital with JT hoping she is resting quietly because she is insisting to be at school bright and early tomorrow. You go girl!

JT continues to take it easy, doing his “chores” which mainly consist of laps around the nurses’ station, breathing exercises, school work and mouth care. I brought him some fettuccine alfredo and he ate for the first time in about five days! Who can resist the Stouffers? Our friend Kim sneaked his favorite fruit roll ups into my suitcase and JT has managed to eat and keep down 4 of those since I’ve been here. I can’t even imagine how that is sitting on an empty stomach. Hopefully I won’t have to “see”!

Today I am thankful to you my old & new friends and to my family for their continued prayers for a safe and speedy healing for my two brave children. I am thankful that Jim is home from Wisconsin. And I am thankful to GOD for continuing to show me ways to laugh and smile and to be at peace with this.

xo Sabrina

“Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples!” 1 Chron 16:8.


“A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

18 comments:

  1. We love you Webster Family!!!!! You are our heroes...Love you bunches, The Allens :o) OXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that things are going so well. The bond that your two will share is amazing! Sydney is such an awesome person to begin with. A product of her parents, I'm sure ;) My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all.
    Angie Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear the latest update. Makes me thankful for both your family and mine. Sydney is a remarkable young woman, and JT is a remarkable young man to go through all that they have. We will continue to send you all our prayers and best wishes to JT and Sydney for a speedy recovery!!
    The Hetherington Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO glad to hear that everything is going well! I have been praying for your family. I'm so proud of Sydney! God bless you guys.

    Lorrie Fowler (Sydney's Honors Biology student teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of Sydney, JT, you, and your husband for your bravery! Sydney and JT will have the strongest bond ever from now on. You are all in our prayers! Best wishes from Sheri Siegel and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful to hear the good news. Sydney, you are an amazing young woman. JT, hang tough, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonathan and I had an awesome time with Sydney.
    I love her to death, and I'm so glad to hear JT is doing well so far.
    My family is continuing to pray for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you all during these last two weeks. We are so grateful that things went so well. Please let us know what we can do to help. I am a phone call away at any time. God Bless you all! The Lentz Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peace, comfort, and rest to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all continue to amaze us! What a lesson you are teaching the rest of us about life, family, and being thankful for everytning we take for granted in our own lives. may God continue to bless you all, and we will continue to pray for no infections and quick healing.
    Love, The Conleys

    ReplyDelete
  11. I continue to pray for you all. You are all hero's in my book. Love, Aunt Jackie and Uncle Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God!! Thank you for sharing your journey with us and for inspiring us to appreciate all that we have!! What a life long gift your family will share. We will continue to pray for you all!!

    Love, The Youngs

    ReplyDelete
  13. What awesome news. I'm reading this with tears rolling down my face.... you are all just amazing. Continued prayers for JT's healing! God Bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying to respond to this beautifully written account of the transplant process, but I can't figure out how to start a fitting response. Picturing Sydney during her procedure, JT receiving a gift of life, and all of you in the room together afterwards leaves me with very inadequate words. I thank you so much for allowing us to be "part of" your spectacular encounter with love and grace! While each of you has indeed been blessed, you yourselves have been a blessing to us. Love from the Lewises

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's good news to hear. Hang in there, JT! -Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. And Happy (early) Easter! -Marisa (again)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are in awe of all of you! What a moving witness! We will continue prayers of comfort and thanksgiving! - The Kraj Family

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just checking in....to catch up on the latest
    and to let you know that your friends in the Grove think of you ALL...JT, Sydney, Jim and Sabrina OFTEN!!! May our LORD continue to give you strength JT!!! Continuing to send PRAYERS
    throughout the healing process.
    Love, Tom, Austin and Margie

    ReplyDelete